Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Checking In

Oh, this thing! I didn't mean to disappear, I promise. I just couldn't think of anything to say. It's been pretty busy at Chez la P.I. For one thing, I'm settling in at my internship and LOVING it. Not even be sarcastic. I love what I am doing, and I hope I get to keep doing it. Classes have started, too, and I only have two classes on T/Th, both of which are pass/fail, which means... no finals! No participation, no studying, no briefing. It's awesome. You would think that would keep my schedule pretty open, but you would be wrong. I work all day Mondays and Wednesdays. I got up at 6, got home at 6 12 hours later, and wanted to crash, but instead I want to Boyfriend's parents' house, got In-N-Out, and then just about fell asleep on the couch. This weekend, like I described to a friend earlier, seemed to disappear before my eyes. It was like, I woke up Friday, wrote my weekend to-do list, and then closed my eyes and it was Sunday night. I don't even know what happened. Then, Boyfriend is coming down with something making him miserable. I'm tired, he's sniffly. We're not the super attractive couple we usually are.

And how about everyone's New Year's resolutions? Still going to the gym? Washing the dishes every night? I can't decide if I've been good or not. I said I was going to be nicer to everyone, and Boyfriend actually mentioned that he thinks I'm nicer than I think I am to other people. This was provoked by an incident at Anthro in the fitting room. I grabbed two items out of the sale room and combined them to try then on, and when I walked out of my room to check myself in the three-way mirror, two SAs and a fellow customer exclaimed over how cute it looked. Before I left, the customer asked my advice on a cardigan to go with a dress she was considering. I pointed out something I had seen, and she went off to check it out. One of the SAs complimented my style and told me I should apply for a job there. I told her I might take that up with her after the bar exam! It's weird, but that just made my day. It was an exchange with people I don't know and did not result in trauma that frightens me back to my apartment.

It made me realize that it isn't so much that I am NOT nice - it's that I don't try to be nice. And that isn't because I am mean - it's because I feel like I could say something to someone, and it could turn out well, like in the incident at Anthro, or it could result in some stranger thinking I am weird and who is this strange curly-haired girl talking to her and then I would feel awkward, and I am positive the latter is the more likely result. Boyfriend says I need to give myself more credit. Which is what I am working on. So, obviously, I'm struggling with my first and second resolution (Realize that if people don't think I am amazing and smart and awesome, it's okay) and my third (Be more open to failing). The third is probably something that will take an Eat, Pray, Love-style journey, because I just don't see that happening. I'm failing at being okay with failing, and AUGH!! I don't like this resolution. I might redact it.

What else. Oh, number four, "Reduce." Haha. Opposite. I went a bit spending crazy, but I put a quash on that. I'm on a no clothes-shopping fast for a month, starting yesterday, except for one thing: a blue short-sleeved or sleeveless top. I know exactly what I am looking for, and the only thing I can buy is THAT top. BUT! I do have a pile of clothes that I am donating, so there's that!

Finally, cooking. I have been! Last week I made a bean salad that is STILL in my fridge. It was so much food, and I've slowly been working on it. Boyfriend and I also made lemon-y tortellini last week. There's very little chance of me cooking on Mondays and Wednesdays, but Tuesdays and Thursdays are more manageable. Hopefully I can keep this up. The next thing I am making (maybe Thursday) is chicken and dumplings, which I have never made before, and which Boyfriend has never had before, so it should be something to write about.

Other than that (right!) not much else is going on. I don't feel like I usually do at the start of the semester, which is like everything is already getting ahead of me and I'm struggling to keep up. Instead, I just feel busy, but not with school. Just with getting dressed and being where I need to be. Anyone else ever get that feeling?

No comments:

Post a Comment