Thursday, December 16, 2010

Post 30-for-30 Catch Up

30 for 30 has been over for a while, and now that I am almost completely recovered from my virus, I have had time to reflect on my experience. This questionnaire was floating around the World Wide Webs, so I thought I would use it to explain all my epiphanies to you, since you aren’t lucky enough to live in my brain.

1.     Why did you decide to do the 30 for 30 challenge? I had just moved out of an apartment that was the source of much grief in my life, and I was feeling really ambitious when the challenge was announced. Also, I know I buy too many clothes, and the month-long shopping fast seemed like something I needed to do. Really, I think I was “leaving the hell hole” high I was on. I like to over extend myself a lot.

2.     What was your favorite outfit that you remixed? Day 11 I wore something that didn’t really feel like an Annie outfit, but it was comfortable. I delivered my closing argument in it, as defense counsel. My client was pleading self defense in a murder charge, based on her history as a domestic violence victim. The general consensus was that my outfit helped make my case – the black pants were tailored and professional, and though the cardi had clean lines, it was soft and feminine. I learned about how your outfit represents your client – presenting an innocent appearance to the jury reminded them that my client is a small, delicate lady who would not have shot her husband except that her life was in danger. The softness of the cardi helped convey my client’s innocence. As far as outfits go, I didn’t really like it, but it taught me an important lesson in the practice of law. Who would have thought law school would teach fashion lessons!

As far as the actual outfit goes, I think I liked Day 26, the polka dot blouse from H&M under my yellow cardi. I think it was a unique take on the buffalo check under a cardi. I liked it, and I think it’s an outfit I’ll wear again.

3.     What was your least favorite outfit that you remixed? To be honest, there were a few of them. I regularly went the safe route, sometimes out of exhaustion and sometimes because I had certainly not put a lot of time into picking my clothes for the challenge. Any outfit where I put one top with a pair of pants is a disappointment for me.

4.      What was the hardest part of the challenge? Not shopping was surprisingly easy. The hardest part was working with my poor choices. I had SO many blue tops. It started making me, well, blue.

5.     What was the best part of the challenge? Having a good excuse not to shop for 30 days. My credit card definitely enjoyed the vacation.

6.     Are there any items in your 30 that you regret including? There are a couple pairs of pants I never wore because I didn’t get them hemmed in time, and a dress I never wore. I only needed one dress that could be gussied up, since I didn’t do anything during those 30 days but go to class and occasionally dinner with my parents, and they aren’t fancy people. By the time I realized they weren’t going to see any Challenge play, it was so far into the challenge and I had already not even gotten dressed so many days that it didn’t seem worth it to replace them.

7.     Did you cheat during the challenge? I think the only way I cheated was by not really putting in the effort a few days. A couple days I repeated the outfit, and I definitely wore outfits I had worn in real life before. Also, there were handfuls of days when I didn’t even get dressed in anything but yoga pants and sweatshirts, thanks to being sick and not having class.

8.     Do you think your shopping habits will change at all after this? Definitely.  Of course, immediately after the challenge I went on a post-30 for 30 Challenge spree. But I definitely chose discriminatorily, thinking about the different ways I could wear one thing. I also felt the need to supplement all the blue and black in my closet. I have so many “safe” pieces in my closet, and even putting them all together didn’t make them anymore creative-looking. My new pink suede platform heels will help with that!

9.     Any advice for future remixers? Not only pick versatile pieces, but shop for versatile pieces. I am working on finding things that are unique, but not stand alone. Like a long sleeved top is basic, but with pintucking and sequins, it’s interesting, too! Also, have some outfits in mind when you pick your items for the challenge. When I went through my closet, I had LITERALLY (in the proper sense of the word) moved my entire closet it and pulled out pieces as I was organizing.  It did not work out well. I put no thought into what I was picking except “Oh, I like this shirt. I haven’t worn this skirt yet. Hm, I bought this? You’re in!”

10.  Would you do another 30 for 30 challenge in the future? Absolutely. I can’t wait to give it another go – better picks, more effort. I can’t wait to rectify myself in the 30 for 30 culture!

11.  What would you do differently next challenge? Whoops. I hate when I already answer something in an earlier challenge. Well, as I said, I would be more discerning in my picks for the challenge, and I would try not to get sick, rendering my interest in looking appropriate absolutely null.

12.  What did you learn from the challenge? Shop for versatility, and invest in more accessories. They can definitely change the look of a piece. I also learned that it is possible to dress with a smaller wardrobe. I also learned I need to go through my closet and get rid of things I don’t remember buying or haven’t worn or things I just don’t like anymore. I can think of two dresses that I don’t want to wear ever because I don’t like the fit. They’re out.

I’m happy to say that right after the challenge, I had my trial. I think my trial wear was a bit stuffy, but whatever, I looked good. (That’s my mantra when I can’t turn back time and re-do something. Acceptance with a dash of denial!) I also only had partial hearing and my voice went in and out, but my feedback from my jury full of lawyers was really positive and made me feel better about my life choice. It’s always a good day when I don’t go home crying wondering what the hell I’m doing in law school. Yes, that has happened. Less frequently since 1L year, but still, it happens sometimes.

Also, I sent in that AWR at 3 am on Saturday morning, went to bed for 5 hours and got up because I was SO excited to start my Christmas vacation. I spent the whole day shopping for Christmas craft supplies, crafting, and shopping for my childhood bff’s aborable baby toddler’s birthday. As my honorary niece, she received a toy Quarter Horse foal with a blanket and halter and all kinds of choking hazards her mother will have to hide from her. I can’t wait till she’s old enough for one of the favorite gifts I have ever received – Thelwell books. English humor, hilariously proportioned ponies, and equestrian witticisms? I think it’s safe to say Thelwell made me the person I am today. I am so excited to have a part in instilling a love of horses and a sense of humor in a little person, especially when that little person belongs to one of my favorite ladies in the whole world, and who I can enjoy for a couple of hours and then leave when she gets cranky. I can’t say I blame her. Boyfriend has definitely witnessed my “I’m SO TIRED” breakdowns, and I’m 26. Still. It’s fortunate for my sanity that Mulder fulfills my very small maternal instinct.

Welp. That’s pretty much what’s been going on. Boyfriend is going to take and post pictures of the Christmas décor at casa de Anniekins, after I tell him to do it. We’re sitting around enjoying the rain (!!!!) and watching episode after episode of 30 Rock. Oh Baby Jesus, I love Christmas break. It almost makes 4-months without a weekend worth it. 

1 comment:

  1. Great reflection. All of us remixers should be asking ourselves the same questions!

    The Auspicious Life

    ReplyDelete