Friday, November 12, 2010

Day 4... reported on Day 5

I know! I'm a day late! Thursdays are always kind of hectic for me, and last night went even longer because I had a law review dinner/celebration to attend for the completion of the third volume (in which I am published!) So by the time we got home and took pictures, no one really had the energy to do anything other than watch Parks and Recreation episodes and eat chips and queso.

You might be getting today's pics tomorrow, too, because I right now I am on the couch editing in my pajamas and a sweatshirt, and I have no reason to get dressed until dinner tonight with my parents (it's RT week!). Anyway, here's what I wore yesterday.

Before I post anything, can I just say that I do have a full length mirror in my house, and if I thought I looked as hippy as these pictures make me look, well, I probably would have cried and gone back to bed. I mean, it looks like I've pushed out 5 kids. Does this mirror/picture incongruity happen to anyone else? And why is it only my boyfriend's camera that likes to disfigure me? So confused. And sad.



Anthropologie Molded and Melded Tee in sky
NYC Blank Skinnies
BCBG blazer
Banana Republic wedges
Forever 21 earrings
J. Crew necklace



This is the first time wearing this necklace, and I got raving compliments on it! The best part, I paid $10 for it. No lie. In fact, I don't think I paid full price for anything I am wearing today, except maybe my earrings, which came in a four pack for like three dollars.

I don't generally talk about how much I spend on clothes, or anything. Like Don Draper, I am from the midwest, and we don't talk about ourselves -or money. Money is a tacky subject - if you're talking about your own money, you talk about a sale or a great price. You do not talk about how much you spent on something if you're referring to "Oh, my gold crusted diamonds were SOOOOO expensive, but they're SOOOOO worth it. I can't imagine wandering around with regular, non gold crusted diamonds like you're POOR or something." You do not ever talk about other people's money. You can complain about prices going up, but you should never talk about how much you paid for something as a pretext for bragging. It's an Ohio thing. Also, most of my family never had the kind of money where you could brag about how much you  spent, and if you're bragging about funds, it's like you're throwing your financial situation in the faces of people who work in factories and don't get vacation days. So if you're discussing money, and I freeze up and cringe, this is why.

It's also why I don't talk prices here. To me, how much a person chooses to spend on herself is not open to discussion or judgment. It's as personal as health matters. It's no one's business. The only time I might bring up price is if I am discussing dressing on a budget. THEN it is ok, but in general, we won't talk about money here. I will say, though, that I am a law student living on loans, and that there are great deals out there at places like Bluefly, Gilt, Rue La La, Zappos, and just the sale section of stand bys. I am not someone who will never pay full price for something I really love, but I am also a person who can't afford to be irresponsible. Not that I am always the girl with spreadsheet budgets or anything. The blazer in those pictures sat in my close for a good number of months with the tags still on it. Still. I wish I could peruse websites and click my little heart out, but I can't. Someday. And I'm proud to say that when that day comes, I'll have earned it, which is something else my working class roots taught me.

I just want to know who gave me these hips. It's absurd. I don't really look like this in real life, right??

No comments:

Post a Comment