Sunday, November 7, 2010

Relocated and revived

I know, I've been in hiding. I had ALOT of crap to do, you guys, most of which is boring and you wouldn't care about, but one thing is very important, and that is - I MOVED!!! It's amazing what 8/10 of a mile will do for your spirits. See also, running water, no used condoms on the roof, and not living in a building with crackheads and meth addicts. When I woke up this morning, it wasn't to a feeling of dread and anxiety and wondering how fast I could get my booty out of the hell hole I live in. I woke up to a tree outside my window and wondering why I dreamed about a very needy ostrich.

This is very exciting news for you. Yes, you! See, now that I have a new apartment, I have a clean slate. A clean slate that needs some loving attention. And I am going to blog all that sweet, sweet, unadulterated loving attention right here, in this very blog. You'll get to watch as my apartment goes from a storage unit to a home. It already feels more cozy than my old place, just having my stuff piled up in it.

I'm going to post pictures of each room as it changes. Feel free to throw out ideas or suggestions! Because as much as I loved Domino and religiously read Apartment Therapy, I have no idea what I'm doing.

This isn't going to be some masterpiece of design or something. I don't have the thousands, or even hundreds, of dollars to throw into this place, and if I did, I would spend it all on an interior decorator because I sure don't have the time. It's my home, but it's still a temporary home. This is a pretty big year, and who knows where I'm going to be when my lease is up. This is going to be about a broke and stressed out law student trying to make something that's welcoming to come home to, a place that feels familiar and safe, without being over the top or "design-y." It's just a normal person's home. A normal person who is obsessed with horses and books and has too many animal-themed artwork prints. See? Totally normal.

Also, here is something exciting: I am going to unofficially participate in the 30 for 30 Challenge. What's that, you ask? Well, it's this idea http://kendieveryday.blogspot.com came up with. You pick out 30 pieces of clothing from your closet, and that is ALL you get to wear for 30 days. Generally, this is limited to workday and weekend wear. NB, that does not include work out wear, lounge wear, or what you change into when you come home. The idea is that you learn to live with what you have and learn to create new outfits out of what's in your closet. Also, no clothes shopping for those 30 days! I know! But I can do it. Plus, I need to. I think I have a shopping addiction, you guys. I'm going cold turkey. This will either rock, or suck. Hard. And once again, I'll be blogging it all right here. Yay for voyeurism!

Later, I will post the clothes I have selected for 30 for 30. And in the next several days, I will be taking and posting pictures of my little place as it develops. Right now, everything is in my apartment, and most of it is even already out of boxes, but it is nowhere near done or anything. I mean, really, you're never "done" decorating, but  it is not livable. Unless you're one of those hoarders, probably, because they seem quite content to live with stacks of boxes and accumulated crap around them. But I am not one of those people. So this needs to change, pronto. And I am in the perfect state of mind for it! Seriously, I feel like a great burden has been lifted off my shoulders, and I am ready to GO. I am ready to hang pictures, hang drapes, arrange, rearrange, measure, organize, purge, and restock. I feel so great, I even have a second wind for school. I am ready to read, edit, search, upload, and outline! 3L-itis isn't gonna get me!

But first, I have to go clean the old hell hole. I am now accepting bets on whether I'm getting my security deposit back.


No comments:

Post a Comment